Fit and fabulous in your 40s
Certain changes occur when we hit our 40s, but it's not all doom and gloom. Read on to learn how to establish some preventative habits and you'll stay healthier, sharper, more energetic, and more fulfilled for years to come.
What are the key changes?
- Metabolism: Slows by 2% per decade.
- Muscle: Down by 6 to 7 pounds from 10 years ago.
- Bone density: Drops by about 1% a year from your mid-30s.
- Libido: Declines because of high stress levels and hormonal changes.
- Stress: Can be higher because of worries about family health, career, and finances.
- Depression: More likely now than later in life unfortunately.
Don't panic though... just follow these easy fixes
- EAT BREAKFAST: This is essential to keeping weight down and calorie-burning metabolism up.
- REV UP YOUR METABOLISM: Strength-training for 6 months can increase your resting metabolism. Aim to exercise for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week.
- PUMP UP YOUR PROTEIN: Amino acids are needed to form complete proteins at least twice a day. This boosts levels of mood-lifting neurotransmitters in the brain, which can help relieve symptoms of depression, like slow thinking and poor memory. Aim for 4 ounces of protein at each meal. Good sources include fish, eggs, and quinoa. But don’t totally skip carbs as they boost mood by increasing production of serotonin in the brain.
- GO OUT WITH FRIENDS (or join one of our retreats!): Laughing, reduces stress and boosts self-esteem. "Women are terrific at connecting socially but often let it fall by the wayside in their 40s because of career and family demands,"